If you’re an industry leader — or want to become one — here’s your chance to learn, grow and forge meaningful relationships with others. This mentoring program harnesses the power of the group to help mentees set and achieve professional/career goals and forge new connections. Mentoring takes place in small groups
, and each group functions independently, setting its own meeting dates, times and locations.
• Mentors and mentees complete the mentoring program application; the mentoring program committee uses the
information provided in the match process to create mentoring groups.
• To the degree possible, each mentoring group is made up of two mentors and four mentees.
• Mentoring group members share a common area of interest/focus, developmental area or type of goal.
• Key program information (definition of mentoring, mentor/mentee roles and responsibilities, goal-setting forms/other
available tools and resources) will be shared with mentors and mentees prior to/during the kickoff.
• This is a mentee-driven program.
• Mentees set a goal at the beginning of the program; mentors (as well as other members of the mentoring group) help
mentees make progress toward achieving their goals.
• All mentors and mentees participate in the kickoff event; each mentoring group determines its own rules/expectations
and establishes its own meeting format and schedule.
• Mentoring groups work together over the course of approximately 6 months, meeting at least once per month to help
mentees make progress toward their goals.
• Expectation is that mentoring groups meet face-to-face.
• Depending on interest, one or more virtual mentoring groups may be offered as a pilot.
• At the end of the program, mentees assess the progress they made toward their goals, and consider how to continue to
leverage/apply what they’ve learned.
• Mentor training: 23 April 2019
• Mentee orientation webinar: 30 April 2019
• Program kickoff #1 (each mentoring group meets together in person; groups connect to the virtual kickoff
webinar): 14 May 2019 from 5:30 - 7:30 PM
• Program kickoff #2 will be held as an in-person event
16 May 2019 from 5:30 - 7:30 PM
• Circles meet on their own for six months, from June to December 2019
• Closing celebration #1 will be held as a virtual event during the week of 7 January 2020 (date TBD)
• Closing celebration #2 will be held as an in-person event during the week of 7 January 2020 (date TBD)
This regional program features in-person meetings of mentoring groups, with potential locations listed below. Note: Not all of the locations listed may end up being offered; it depends on demand (i.e., are there enough applicants — mentors and mentees — in a location to field one or more mentoring circles). In the application survey, you will be asked to select a preferred location(s) for in-person mentoring group meetings. Finally, depending on interest, one or more virtual mentoring circles may be piloted.
• Columbus Metro
• Cincinnati Metro
• Indianapolis Northside
• Indianapolis Southside
• Indianapolis Downtown/Central
• St. Louis Metro
• Chicago Northern suburbs
• Chicago Downtown/Central
• Virtual only (includes Denver, Kansas City and Minneapolis/St. Paul)
Mentee or mentor?
are emerging leaders. They have a strong sense of their development needs and can identify one or more areas in which they need mentoring support. Mentees must have the time to prepare for group meetings, fully participate and help plan these sessions, and then “do the work” — that is, be willing to stretch, take risks and use resources to tackle their mentoring goal.
are senior leaders with significant experience in the healthcare industry or related services. They have a keen sense of their own strengths coupled with the ability and commitment needed to guide their mentees. Mentors are willing to share of themselves — relaying stories and anecdotes from his or her career, recounting successes and failures, offering ideas and approaches and identifying tools and connections. Most mentors have experience in a director-level or higher position and/or have developed both individuals and teams.
How to apply - Two steps
mentees and mentors must register by clicking on the button below. Mentees pay the mentee program fee now.
mentees and mentors must complete the online application survey by the registration close date; this survey link is
automatically sent via email as soon as this registration is completed. (Please be sure you are currently subscribed
to receive HBA emails.)
• Applicants must register and
complete their respective application surveys by the registration deadline to be
considered for the program.
• If a mentee cannot be accommodated in the program, the mentee program fee will be refunded in full.
HBA membership requirements
This is an HBA members-only program, and both mentees and mentors
must be/become HBA members to participate. Mentees and mentors who are accepted into the program, elect to participate and who are not already members must join the HBA prior to attending the program kickoff. Please note:
• Mentees: HBA annual membership dues are separate and distinct from the mentee program fee and represent an
• HBA annual membership dues are not
refundable. Make sure you have been accepted into the program and have decided
to participate before joining.
Consult your manager or HR department to see if reimbursement will be provided. Find out more about the value of HBA membership and the annual nonrefundable membership dues here
complete the online application by 1 March 2019.
Is this event refundable? Yes, under these conditions:
1. If a mentee cannot be accommodated within the program, the mentee program fee will be refunded in full.
2. If a mentee decides to withdraw from the program after registering, he or she must notify the mentoring
program committee in writing by emailing email@example.com
no later than 26 February 2019.
After that, no refunds are available.
• Mentoring Program Committee contact for questions and further information:
Heather Fenton Liebhart
• Membership questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
or 973-575-0606 ext. 1.
• For assistance with online registration: email@example.com
or 973-575-0606 ex.t 0.