This international mentoring program pairs one mentor with one mentee who work together over the course of nine months to help achieve the mentee’s goals. The program uses a cross-company and cross-hierarchy approach with recent participants from Germany, France, Switzerland, Italy, the United Kingdom, Ireland and the United States and is inclusive of female and male mentors. Mentoring pairs meet at least once a month; meetings are usually virtual since mentoring pairs may come from different countries.
• 1:1 - one mentor is matched with one mentee
• Mentoring pairs meet at least once a month for nine months
• Depending on your preference and the availability of a matching mentoring partner, mentoring can either take place
virtually (as your mentor/mentee may be in another country) or in-person (if the mentor and mentee are in close
proximity and both agree to in-person meetings)
• Mentees set a goal at the beginning of the program; mentors help mentees make progress toward achieving their goal
• This year we will also be matching entrepreneurial mentors with aspiring mentees. This will include mentors who
have set up their own business or are entrepreneurial within their organization. If this is of interest, please indicate
as such in your registration survey answers.
• Mentor training events - All mentors must participate in one of these sessions:
- London - Week of 5 November (In-person training for mentors in/near this locale)
- Basel - Week of 5 November (In-person training for mentors in/near this locale)
- Virtual - Week of 5 November (Mentor training webinar for those who are not able to participate in one of the
in-person training sessions. Will be recorded)
• Mentee Orientation webinar - Week of 12 November (Will be recorded)
• Program Kickoff webinar - 16 November at 5:00 PM CET (Mandatory for all mentors and mentees; will be recorded for
those who cannot participate in the live session.)
• Mentoring pairs meet - November 2018 to July 2019 (Mentoring pairs meet on their own once a month, usually
• Closing celebration webinar - July 2019 (date to be announced)
Mentee or mentor?
are emerging leaders. They have a strong sense of their development needs and can identify one or more areas in which they need mentoring support. Mentees must have the time to prepare for meetings, fully participate and be willing to test and apply what they’ve learned to achieve their mentoring goals.
are seasoned executives with significant experience in the healthcare industry or related services. They have a keen sense of their own strengths coupled with the ability and commitment needed to guide their mentees. Mentors are willing to share of themselves - relaying stories and anecdotes from their careers, recounting successes and failures, offering ideas and approaches and identifying tools and connections. Most mentors have experience in a director-level or higher position and/or have developed both individuals and teams.
Comments from last year’s participants
"The HBA mentoring program gave me the opportunity to test my counselling methodology and improve
my self-confidence on it."
- Mentor, 2017-2018 Program
"Having a mentor outside your personal and professional circle has been the biggest added value for me."
- Mentee, 2017-2018 Program
"It has been a big contribution to my career development. It increased my confidence and led to promotion."
- Mentee, 2017-2018 Program
Mentee program fee
Mentor program fee
$0 - There is no charge for mentors, who volunteer their time and expertise to the program and their mentee.
How to apply - Two steps:
mentees and mentors must register by clicking the button below. Mentees pay the Mentee program fee now.
mentees and mentors must complete the online application survey by the registration close date; this survey is
automatically sent via email as soon as registration is complete.
• Applicants must register and
complete their respective application survey by 28 September 2018 to be considered
for the program.
• If a mentee cannot be accommodated in the program, the mentee program fee will be refunded in full.
HBA membership requirements
This is an HBA members-only program and both mentees and mentors must be/become HBA members to participate. Mentees and mentors who are accepted into the program, elect to participate and who are not already members must join the HBA prior to attending the program kickoff. Please note:
• Mentees: HBA annual membership dues are separate and distinct from the mentee program fee and represent an
• HBA annual membership dues are not
refundable. Make sure you have been accepted into the program and have
decided to participate before joining.
Consult your manager or HR department to see if reimbursement will be provided. Find out more about the value of HBA membership and the annual nonrefundable membership dues here.
Register and complete the online application survey by 28 September 2018
Is the mentee program fee refundable? Yes, under these conditions:
1. If a mentee cannot be accommodated within the program, the mentee program fee will be refunded in full.
2. If a mentee decides to withdraw from the program after registering, she/he must notify the mentoring program
committee in writing by emailing email@example.com
by 22 October 2018. After that, no refunds are