DEI SELF-FOCUSED SKILL-BUILDING SERIES
Virtual - Zoom
Tuesday, October 19, 2021
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Add to Calendar
Mountain Standard Time
Do you keep hearing the acronym DEI (Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion) and think to yourself… Well I know what all of those words mean, but I’m not sure how to take action to support it. After all, it’s just so broad and people keep talking about systemic issues. Where do I even start? This first session in a three-part series introduces a tried and true model that helpfully and quickly provides a significant amount of insight. It provides meaningful knowledge and a brave, kind space for learning more.
By the end of our time, you will be able to:
(1) Describe the various reasons why people and organizations prioritize this work
(2) Define Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Intersectionality more capably and comfortably
(3) Describe the breadth/depth of diversity dimensions
(4) Explain some of the interconnections among diversity dimensions and their relevance
(5) Initiate basic and important actions and behaviors that build (rather than dismantle) trust, connections, inclusion and equity across diversity
This foundational training is important for building a common language and understanding for deeper-dive DEI work whatever your identity.
In the spirit of transparency and clarity, this training will not:
• Address or deep-dive into any one/more diversity dimensions
• Ask individuals to speak on behalf of any group’s identity characteristics
• Center from any specific diverse voice; rather will introduce language and a model that facilitates exploration of DEI from multiple voices
Facilitated by Megan Clough, MS, Director of Learning & Organizational Development at The University of Maine System. Megan has been a DEI practitioner and social justice advocate for the past 25 years. A Human Resources leader formally educated in Cultural Anthropology and Adult Development, Megan has held roles in Equal Opportunity, Talent, Learning, Organizational Development and HR Oversight has achieved renowned certifications that reflect and support her DEI practitioner expertise and skill.